Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Cream Cheese Spritz
Cream Cheese Spritz Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened (not melted)
3 ounces softened cream cheese
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. Cream the butter and cream cheese very well with an electric mixer on its highest setting, or vigorously by hand. Awesomely creamed butter is the basis of great spritz recipes that melt in your mouth.
3. Next add the sugar and cream again until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg and cream again thoroughly.
4. Add the flour mixture a little at a time and mix until all ingredients are evenly combined, but do not over-mix as that can make spritz dough too stiff.
5. Place dough in cookie press and press onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 6 to 9 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. All ovens are different, so check early and often as spritz brown quickly!
6. Remove from sheet after 3 to 4 minutes and cool on a wire rack.
You can always troubleshoot a spritz dough by adding water a tablespoon at a time to stiff dry dough or adding flour a tablespoon at a time to overly sticky or soft dough. Perfect spritz dough has a soft malleable texture that is not too sticky or too stiff.
I always suggest using Land O Lakes butter, as I know it will consistently cream well. Some generic butters result in a very stiff dough!
Use gel food coloring to tint your dough whatever colors you like.